Economists and Journalists

| 1 Comment

Report on government as you would report to your siblings on the rental agent your mother hired to handle her Florida condo.”

I found Susan Rasky and Brad De Long’s list of advice to economists and journalists quite interesting. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis also conducts a course for journalists- Supply, Demand & Deadlines – which I think is a great idea for other central banks to follow.

The best thing may be to just read op-eds and columns written by economists and well known economic columnists. I’ve tried to give a sample below;

Tyler Cowen’s latest Economic Scene column - Investing in Good Deeds Without Checking the Prospectus.

John Quiggin’s -When co-operation trumps competition- explains how the internet is changing our ideas about innovation

Virginia Postrel- Cash for kidneys -Legalizing incentives could encourage transplant donations, says a healthy donor.

Thomas Sowell , Random thoughts- When you have 90 percent of what you want, think twice before insisting on the other 10 percent.

John Kay- The Magic Kingdom could save Venice from destruction. If Venice were owned by the Disney Corporation, Venice would not be in peril

Paul Krugman- The Phantom Menace

Truth, bullshit and economics - Samuel Brittan

Edward Lotterman- Supply and Demand Effects Vary by Market

Arnold Kling- Are You a Conservative? Try this test.

Steven E. Landsburg- How Much Should Hotel Web Access Cost? Sometimes it's free. Sometimes it's $20 a day. Why?

Tim Harford- Buy! Buy! Buy! Sell! Sell! Sell! The rational explanation for stock market frenzies and crashes.

Yahoo Finance has columns by Charles Wheelan

Martin Wolf , David Warsh,, Daniel Gross, Sebastian Mallaby are also good.

Steven Levitt- Freakonomics

Sachs, Rogoff, Stiglitz, Schiller and Brad De Long have columns at Project Syndicate.

Rogoff’s open letter to Stiglitz is a classic.

Andrew Liegh has some advice for budding op-ed writers.

Let us know your favorite columnists.

1 Comment

Pages

Powered by Movable Type 5.02

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Paul published on June 17, 2006 12:06 AM.

UPIG was the previous entry in this blog.

Central Banks Teaching Economics is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.